Saturday, March 8, 2008

What a Day! What a Day!

I just have to say it one more time; WHAT A DAY! As you all know I drove to Kamloops yesterday to pick up Hubby from the airport. For three weeks he's been working up in the Charlotte's and has just started his days off, he's not scheduled to fly back until Thursday. I took off yesterday around 2:00 all by myself, yup Grandma offered to look after the kids and I was off!

It's been a long time since I've actually got to go to Kamloops by myself, or anywhere by myself for that matter. I had to keep telling myself to slow down... I was rushing around Wal-Mart because that's what I always do, rush, rush, rush, with kids in tow. I had to be at the airport at 10 PM and I had lots of time :) I really thought it was going to be hard to find things to do with how much time I had to blow but it was perfect!

After spending almost 45 minutes at Futureshop exchanging my broken Dyson Vacuum cleaner I was free, free to do whatever I wanted! Oh the power I felt :) I won't bore you with all the details but just let you all know that everyone should get away, even just for the day.

I arrived at the airport, Tim Horton's coffee in hand, refreshed and calm. The place was dead empty and I had about a 20 minute wait. I would have stayed in the car and blogged but no internet was to be found :(



If you're curious as to what is near Kamloops, they are really pushing a new golf course and one whole wall is painted with advertisements, including where the new golf course is located. On the map we head for Cache Creek when heading home, then we have two choices we can take; I usually go Lytton way (Highway 1) and then head to the Ranch, but we could also drive to our hometown Lillooet (Highway 99) to get home too. You'll also see Merritt on the map and if you've ever heard of the huge Merritt Mountain Music Festival with a ton of country stars you'll know where that is. Sun Peaks is a bit cut off at the top and it's a large Ski Resort, Hubby's been there snowmobiling but I've never made it there yet.

After touring a bit of the airport, the very quiet airport, I spent a lot of time watching these doors:


And then finally "Touchdown!" Ha! Everyone said the picture wouldn't turn out because I'm behind glass and the glare from the inside and light from the plane was pretty bad but it turned out okay :) I had my hand cupped around the lens and taking the picture at such an angle was pretty awkward.


After hugs and a kiss we grab the luggage...


...and head for home!


I'll be doing this all over again in about a month unless we work something out so Hubby can park the truck somewhere... but you know I really didn't mind, even though we didn't get home until about 1 this morning and then had to unload the SUV. I think we finally hit the sheets at about 2 this morning... yawn....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you had fun when you hit the sheets Kansas You need that...

Anonymous said...

That time alone is a great treasure. Now my kids are older, I do get some shopping time alone when they are in drum or piano. Since I home school, there wasn't that time until they were older. I did take them to my parents place for 3 or 4 days at a time when they were little and hubby worked out of town and I would have the house to myself. It was wonderful. I have been through your town a number of years back when we went on highway 99 from Williams Lake. We went through Merrit 3 times last year and will be going through there at the end of April to the Island and back.

Sorka said...

Wow slap down a brown carpet and that's CAK airport! (well take away the French on the signs too! hehehe
We will see if I can make it out the driveway in time!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can only pray the airport would look like that when I fly. Sorry about no internet connection, but thanks for the fantastic post and great pictures!

Oma said...

I'm glad to hear you had some time to yourself. Even if it is to do the shopping, it is nice not to be rushed or pulled here and there. Wow! this is the quietest airport I have ever seen. It looks positively spooky.

Love Ya!

Jackie said...

Looks like the Fredericton airport. Right down to the small planes and quiet waiting room. And I always thought that it was funny that the one Gate that they had was called "Gate 3" ???