Saturday, January 19, 2008

Jumbo Raisin Cookies

While I was AWOL a really good internet friend gave me this:

I have been blessed :)
Thanks Donna from Mice & Moonbeams! I'm supposed to bless three other people but I think I will just bless you all :)

Speaking of Donna... she had a contest for submitting to her your best cookie recipe. Well... and how can I put this delicately? No one submitted an entry :( I actually got one started; my Mom's famous Jumbo Raisin Cookies, but I just didn't get time to finish it. So I present it now, albeit a bit late but submitted none the less :) And I was able to use my scanner to make it very quick :) If you have a good cookie recipe why don't you send it on over to Donna? C'mon people.... everyone has a favourite, or an ol' standby, or a "comfort" cookie... or one of those "don't even look at me or you'll gain 10 pounds" cookie.

In my Mom's own handwriting and well over 25 years old I give to you:


If you can't view it or would like it in PDF format click here.

Can you tell how often these have been baked? The page isn't even attached in the cookbook anymore! I've often made a half recipe because this makes quite a lot, but they freeze beautifully in ice cream buckets. The only thing I've changed is the addition of the nuts. We always used walnuts and shortly after Hubby and I started dating I quickly found out that Hubby was allergic, while he was eating one! It was not pleasant.

So that's my recipe... where's yours? Read Donna's entry here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the title, I thought of the oatmeal raisin cookies we made when I was young. I think it was out of a Purity Flour cookbook. What a surprise to see yours has the same technique of putting water in the raisins. I think the recipe we had, you just soaked the raisins in boiling water, but you added it all to the cookies and of course the recipe we had used oatmeal too. I have thought of getting that recipe from mom (and may have already years ago). I might just use yours instead. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh Kansas - you are too funny! Now the blogging world will send me oodles of recipes out of PITY! LOL! =)

Thank you so much for this recipe - I think it is wonderful that it is in your mom's handwriting!!

Thank you, also, for pointing your readers to my oh-so-humbling attempt at a contest! LOL!

((HUGS)) to you, my friend!