Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Baby Chick 2008

About three weeks ago I posted that Baby Banty, Pinky, and a No Namer were setting on a few eggs. Baby Banty and Pinky stayed, the No Namer did not, although Midnight got in on the fun and she is now setting but she's not due to hatch her eggs until the 23rd.

Twenty-one days later was yesterday. Pinky was the first and when I checked the coop yesterday, lo and behold, a chick was on it's way. You would be surprised at the peeping inside the egg :)


Within ten minutes, after putting the egg back, the chick had popped the "lid" off.


Here's the chick about a minute or two old.


Last night when I checked her (and of course it has to be a "her") she was all fluffy & dry and snug under Pinky. I really am sure she's a she because when I spread out her wing she had all the same length pin feathers, a rooster has two lengths or so they say, I guess time will tell (and I hope I'm not backwards on this). This picture was taken this morning, and another chick was hatched in the night, so now we have two!
EDIT: Tracey left a comment that I was backwards with the feather check and she was right, thanks Tracey!


If you'd like to see the whole thing "live" I've shot a video. The egg is a bit blurry but the rest of the video is pretty clear.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kansas, I think you have the pinfeathers backwards. The uneven ones are female and the even ones are male.

Thanks for sharing the hatching. :)

Anonymous said...

absolutely amazing.ab

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is very cool. I didn't know that about he pin feathers. Our chicks from the hatchery are doing really well. I posted about them yesterday.

Dora Renee Wilkerson said...

That's is just great! I loved seeing all of those. I just love your blog.


Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Anonymous said...

The video was great. Definately not everyday some of us get to see a chick come out of an egg. Thanks for the video :)

Jackie said...

They look so cute and fluffy! Liam desperately wants to get some chickens, but it's not going to happen until we have a lot more space and he is a lot more responsible!

Autumn said...

It is so cute!! And it looks so soft!