Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Bee Allergy

I'm pretty sure my son is allergic to bees, the odd thing; he has about a 24 hour delayed reaction. This has been going on for a few years and whenever he gets stung he swells up something awful. The worst sting was in his inner thigh, he's going to kill me for writing this when he gets older, but I have to say all his family jewels were swollen and black & blue! Yesterday at around 4 o'clock he was stung in the pinky finger. Everything was fine until about 5:30 tonight. Then this:


The inside of his palm is as swollen as the outside and his hand is very tight to the touch. He doesn't complain and seems to carry on just fine. If it was a one time incident I wouldn't be too concerned but over the years it seems to be getting worse. Then last Tuesday he got out of bed and I freaked! His eye was swollen and I was pretty sure he was stung on the face. I figured it would go down and gave him a Benadryl... but the next morning it was worse!



Please don't think he's upset because of his eye... he's upset because his sister took off out the door for the bus without a hug and a kiss from him. So after getting him comfortable on the couch and snapping a picture to send to my Mom, I grabbed the phone and called my girlfriend at home who just happens to work at the clinic. She said she would squeeze Jevan in for an appointment that day. The doctor wrote out a prescription for an "eppie jr." pen, just in case this allergy gets any worse. We now have matching "eppie" pens in the house, Hubby has a senior version because he's allergic to certain nuts. I'm hoping we never have to use either one!

12 comments:

PatV said...

Kansas,

Wow!! I think this was the time to use the eppi pen. Does the swelling go down within a day or two? It's a good thing Jevan is so easy going about this, I would FREAK!!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jevan It must be very painful for him. That is so sad. When Ricky was about 3 he picked up a bees nest. We ripped his clothes off. Bees were all over him. An older lady was with me and she put wet tobacco all over his body. He had no swelling and no redness and it also eased the pain from all the stings he had. And he had a lot of stings. Living in a logging camp at the time so no doctor. Auntieb

DaviMack said...

With all allergies, though, they'll get worse every time. Best to avoid being stung!

Sorka said...

That was definitely not time to use the epi pen.. last resort trust me.. but you know that I am sure. Here we generally give a double dose of Benedrylright away when ever one of the kids gets stung.
The worst it will do is knock em out. Hubby has his epi pens for bee allergies.. so far I have only used the old expired ones on unsuspecting oranges for practice!!

Isela: Purling Sprite said...

Kansas, poor little munchkin. I have heard that allergies do get worse as they get older. I am glad you got some of those eppi pens with you now.

HamsLife said...

Sorka gave good advice.

I too am allergic to bee stings and have an eppi pen.

My alleregy was caused by sticking my head in a bee hive as a small child to see what they were doing. I was a curious child; not a smart child but curious.

The child seems to be stung a lot. The best advice I can think of beyond what you are already doing is try to find out why the child is being stung so often and see if you can find a way to prevent it from happening. Then he may outgrow the problem.

Mom said...

Hi Kansas...
It is so good he is one tough little guy. He just doesn't think his day is quite right though, when big sis goes out the door without giving him a kiss goodbye. He is more upset over something like that than a little old "bee sting". It is hard to even look at the pictures of him.): I know it would hurt me. You really do wish you could kiss it and make it all better. Give him an extra hug from Oma.

Love Ya!

jackie said...

Poor little fellow, I feel his pain. I was stung on the pinkie by a wasp this summer and my hand swelled for three or four days before it settled down.

Teyani said...

I have bee allergies too, and found some helpful naturopathic ways to assist in the healing - a massive dose of vitamin c (right after the sting) they recommend 10,000 mg for adults - but you'd have to see what a n herbal MD says for kids - and then use benydryl cream and lavender essential oil rubbed together on the sight of the sting/bite to combat the horrible itching.
I hope that he improves quickly.

Donna said...

How is Jevan feeling now? Better, I hope!

How scary...but at least you know now and you have the necessary meds. My youngest is allergic to mosquitoes and fleas! Not sure about bees because he runs away too fast! lol! Just like his mom! But he swells up just like Jevan if he is stung by a mosquito or flea...very strange!

Give Jevan a hug from me!

beartoes said...

wow, not that is scary. He should definetly be carrying one of those epi pens. Just tell him when it happens to use the pen. I hope that this goes away quick for him, visit:Allergy Treatment

Dora Renee' Wilkerson said...

Oh, my I feel for him. I know just what he is going through. I am highly allergic to bees (that's one of the reasons I don't keep them. Wish I could tho.)

I too have to carry an pen with me. It's been years since I have been stung but the last time my whole leg turned black and I got hives all over.

Darn bees..

Dora Renee' Wilkerson