Friday, November 16, 2007

Quick & Easy Pin Cushion

I made these a couple of years ago to tuck into Christmas baskets and one person was a bit miffed that I didn't give her one. Today I decided to make this one for the unnamed person and thought I would blog it for you all to see how easy these are to make. They'd be cute even without the elastic so if you don't have any you can still make one.

Some of the things you'll need: glue gun, plastic bottle cap, scrap of material, 4 1/2 inch plate/jar/whatever for tracing a circle, needle & thread, and a small piece of elastic.


A hammer and a nail. Hammer the nail into the centre of the bottle cap. Wiggle it around a bit so you have enough room for the elastic to fit through.


Push the elastic through the hole. It's easier to push it through from the inside.


Fit it to the size finger you or the recipient plans to wear it on.


Tie a knot and snip off the excess.


Put a good size dollop of hot glue over the knot.


Find something that is about 4 1/2 inches wide. I used an old peanut butter jar.


Trace a circle onto the backside of a piece of material. Cut out the circle. (I'm making two of them so ignore the second scrap of material underneath).


Grab a teeny bit of lace, this is optional but it looks nicer.


Run a bead of hot glue around the inside of the cap.


Glue the lace to the inside.


Take a needle and thread and run long stitches on the wrong side of your 4 1/2 inch circle.


Grab some stuffing. I happen to have a bag but you can use cotton balls, old wool, some out of a stuff animal, or even an old pillow.


Take about this much, I've put a pencil in the picture so you can see how much.


Push it into the centre while pulling up those long stitches. You don't want it jammed in too tight, just enough to "puff" it.


You should have a little ball when you're done.


Run your needle back and forth to stitch everything closed.


Fold back the lace on the cap.


Put a fair amount of glue on the inside including around the sides. Push the ball into the cap, really squish it in there so it's a good fit.


Flip the lace up, find a pin, and you're done!


6 comments:

Oma said...

Hi Kansas.....
You made me one sometime ago and it is the handiest little pin holder. I keep one hanging on a cup hook in my kitchen. Usually I have a needle there with a short bit of thread in it. I find it quite handy when I have a button come off or a small repair to do. This looks great for Christmas Baskets or stocking stuffers.

tanita✿davis said...

This is the NEATEST little project!

Jackie said...

This is so cute and easy looking! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing! I also loved the headband tutorial, too. What great ideas you have!

Anonymous said...

In a "green" community blog, someone was asking about ways to recycle plastic bottle caps and I told them about the pin cushion you made for me.

Anonymous said...

What a great project!! Your tutorial and photography were excellent!! Keep up the great work.