Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Swiss Chard

On Monday I went out to the garden and picked swiss chard. Yes it's nearing the end of November, the stuff is frozen, and I even had to shake the ice off. I let it sit on the counter and thaw for a bit, cooked it for less than 10 minutes, and it was really tasty! The garden has long been cleared but I made Hubby leave the swiss chard, something I normally wouldn't have done. My Aunty Bonnie is one of the most knowledgeable people I know regarding gardening. Every year she grows an abundance of vegetables and, even though winter is coming on, she has recently planted swiss chard, kale, and broccoli. She's not sure if her broccoli will survive but she's sure the swiss chard and kale will be okay. She told me that she has grown kale and even knocked snow off of it to pick and eat it. Kale will grow through the winter! I have no idea if my swiss chard will survive, because we have a much colder climate, but what I have out there now will last for awhile and I'm happy with that. She tells me that if it dies down it should pick up and continue to grow in the spring, and I can do this for a few years without having to replant. I'll let you all know how things turn out in the spring :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weve got chard too and kale. They are very hardy. LAst year we grew brussel sprouts and they lasted round to about february. This year I am doing the same but we are still working our way through the beans I froze all summer so we havent even picked any sprouts yet.
It is cold here till around april now so the gardening is very easy until then. Then it is a mad rush to get it all done.

Anonymous said...

I have actually found myself with a moment where I am baby-free. I never get to comment on your posts because I'm usually wrestling with a baby while I'm reading. I LOVE your blog and I'm putting in an application to be your new best friend so I can come visit with you at your ranch one day. Until then I'll keep reading and commenting as my offspring allow.

KansasA said...

Hi Chris...
Wow brussel sprouts too! Although I'm not a big fan of them I'm sure my Aunt would like them. It's nice to have fresh veggies throughout the winter, not only for the taste but the cost too :)

Oma said...

Hi Kansas...

Boy that swiss chard looks tasty. With the ice on it it looks very crispy. I wonder if you could use it in a salad like spinach. I love spinach salad.

Love Ya!

Jackie said...

We all love the swiss chard! My broccoli is done now (and I am at the point of being very thankful for that!There is such a thing as too much broccoli in my mind)

Anonymous said...

Swiss chard looks tasty. every time I grew brussell sprouts I ended up with aphids so I just quit planting them.Auntieb