Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Watch where you step

Out and about today, I was surprised at the amount of calves running and frolicking. They are getting to that stage, and are very curious to boot.

Here's one that wasn't interested in anything but it's Mama.

Then there's this one, number 7. He's a steer (boy), you can tell by his tag. The girls (heifers) have three digit numbers and usually the first digit is the year they were born, but the boys have only one digit. Now just because I've written this Pops will tell me he changed something this year and I'll be totally wrong :)


This little heifer is such a cutie, she came pretty close and was very curious.


But not far behind, her Mama came storming out of nowhere! When a person is sitting on the ground and a very determined and charging Mama is barreling down... well you move quickly.


Which made me and my dog Blue quickly stand, grab the tripod, and turn around... only to step in this:


From the sidelines I could hear the snickering. Oh they don't look like they were laughing but believe me they were :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How will I be able to enjoy that next steak?

Northernlass1 said...

Pretty sure that standing in that is considered to bring good luck!!!

Jackie said...

I'm sure that you were wearing your "dancing shoes" so everything came off in the wash.

Dora Renee Wilkerson said...

I love the pictures!

You know I was told that stepping in horse poo was good luck.. Maybe, cow is too!

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Anonymous said...

LOL they are looking so superior in that last picture.
I love calves with their liquidy eyes and big soft noses.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. I love the photos and narrative. Cows are so cute. We will be going out later in the spring for the inoculating and checking tags of calves. We have different colours for the boys and girls too.

Karen Baking Soda said...

I'm in love with that little steer!

Mikey said...

Sooo beautiful! Love the cow pics, love the scenery too, I swear I can smell the greenness!

Anonymous said...

Great pics! So...how's your luck been? Does the cow poo work the same way as horse poo? =)

KansasA said...

Not sure if the luck thing worked or not, but no nose incidents, or treed children so it must've helped!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures!