Thursday, April 10, 2008

Puffed Straws Recipe

This recipe was new to me, and it sounded good. Puff pastry, Parmesan cheese, and paprika, three simple ingredients. Would I make them again? Probably not. I might substitute the Parmesan cheese for Cheddar and then consider it, but Jevan sure did like them. I thought they were rather tasteless, but then I used Kraft Parmesan cheese instead of freshly grated so that might have made the difference. Maybe with the addition of a few spices they would be okay too.


The puff pastry I used was Tenderflake. A half block at a time.


Roll on a floured pastry board a 10x10 inch square.


Mix 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of paprika in a one cup measuring cup.


Sprinkle a 1/4 cup of cheese mixture on HALF of rolled out pastry.


Fold over top half and roll out to 10x10 again. You might have to fold a couple of times.


Sprinkle another 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over entire pastry. Press the cheese in a bit using a spatula. Cut in half.


Cut into 1/2 inch strips. To make this easier I put a tape measure along the top and, using a pizza cutter, I then mark 1 inch increments, I then move my tape measure over 1/2 an inch and mark again. Then I use the pizza cutter to slice from top to bottom.


Use a flipper and place on an UNgreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 15-18 minutes until slightly browned. Repeat using the second pastry block.


Sydney just walked in the door from school and she thinks they're great. I guess it's a hit with the kids :)

6 comments:

Donna said...

GASP!! I think they look yummy!! In fact, I would go on to add all kinds of other things - like sea salt and garlic, as well as paprika and cheese - oh, and some herbs like basil, oregano - maybe even some onion...

I think you should DEFINITELY make them again - and play with the recipe until they are so delicious that you don't even want to share!! =)

Little Old Liz said...

You know, my very Southern MIL adored these. Me? Not so much. I've seen some recipes use a hit of cayenne (red) pepper to liven them up.
Kids. Put Ranch Dressing, Ketchup, or Cheese on anything -- I think mine would eat a tire if I doctored it up just right.

I'm Mikey said...

These look yummy! I'll have to try them!
Happy Belated Birthday! Glad to hear your washer is working again. You have more problems w/that thing :)
I hope you had a good birthday and not too much mess leftover from the washer. Least you caught it in time!

Anonymous said...

Kansas,

They look great and I can see me making them. They will be great in Sydney's lunch instead of a sandwich. Well done my friend!!!...Pat

Donna F said...

They sure look good. I like the idea that you can doctor them up with other ingredients..you could come out with some interesting results.

Love Ya!

dawn said...

They look quite easy. I would so be using lots of garlic powder. They do look yummy and would likely be a hit in our house especially with dip (diet dip of course;-)).