Sunday, August 31, 2008

Corn Relish & Company

Yesterday morning I got a call from my niece Shaylee. She's been in town visiting my sister for the last couple of days and was now at a girlfriend's house. I ran out to Pavilion Reserve, picked her up, and brought her out to the ranch. She had her son Julian with her and he is so adorable! What a great kid; quiet, full of smiles, and an all around happy boy :) He's 10 months old and has just starting walking, that "oh so shaky baby walk" it makes me want to pad him all around with styrofoam!!
Shaylee helped me can up some corn relish while she was here, as a matter a fact while I was running around getting the jars ready and vegetables from the garden she was busy chopping away. Unfortunately we forgot to pack a few jars before we headed to the bus in Lytton and I told her I'd drop some in the mail for her.

Speaking of corn relish... the recipe I use is from HuntressD and long ago she left it in the comment section of my blog. She no longer maintains her blog and I haven't heard from her in quite sometime. I'm hoping it's okay to post the recipe at my blog so people don't have to weed through all the comments to find it. The picture is last years because I didn't have any leftovers and canned exactly 10 half pints.


Corn Relish
Her measurements are all estimates but I pretty much make it exactly like this and it turns out great. I find if you keep it stored in a dark cupboard it won't fade, mind you it gets eaten up pretty fast around here and fading isn't much of a problem. ;)

Yield: About 10 half pints.

9 sweet corn cobs
1 green pepper seeded, chopped
1 red pepper seeded, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 tsp table salt
2 1/4c granulated sugar
2 1/4c white vinegar
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp tumeric
2 Tbsp water
Cut the corn, but don't scrape from the cobs, you should get about 4 cups.
Add the next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat, stir lots. Turn down your stove and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring only occasionally.
Mix the last four items into a paste, stir into the simmering corn mix, stir until it boils again and thickens.
Then can; 15 minutes in a hot water bath.

4 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Yum. Recently I've seen peach salsa, along with the more typical Californian mango salsa, but this looks tasty and doable with my current larder. I think I'll go for TWO red peppers, though!

KansasA said...

Hi Tadmack, glad you can use the recipe. I sometimes use orange peppers if I don't have red, the recipe is pretty flexible and tastes great no matter what one changes :)

Anonymous said...

What an adorable little guy. Your relish looks real yummy.ab

Oma said...

This my fav of all. It's great stuff and a lot of work but worth it.
Love Ya!