Friday, January 30, 2009

MAMA! It's hippy day!

Sydney informed me it was Hippy Day at school. Do you know what it's like living on a ranch with no Wal-Mart (or any store) nearby to run to? It means I must dig around and find what I can to create hippyness on a whim. I did not save any of my hippy clothes from, well, awhile ago. Okay, okay, I was born in the 60's, not as some "love child" but more as an accident (Monty, our dog, ate Mom's birth control pills... really). And then Mom and Dad's "whoops" was multiplied when, two minutes after I made an appearance, my twin brother surprised them and the doctor too... but I digress.

Back on track; I dug through my closet and found nothing. Well nothing "I" would consider hippy. Then I remembered a shirt one of my girlfriends brought out for me not too long ago (what was she thinking??) I pinned it closed because it was a bit big but Sydney was starting to look like a hippy. Braid her hair, throw on a headband, some beads, a peace symbol & flower, and she was good to go :) Visions of "Hell no, we won't go!" jump into my head when I look at this picture.

UPDATE: It has been pointed out to me that the way Sydney's hands are facing it is an offensive gesture in other countries! I do apologize to my international readers! In Canada any way that you hold up two fingers is considered a "peace" gesture, and it doesn't matter which way the hands are facing. An offensive gesture here is if only one middle finger is up.

Oh my Lord, you know if her hair were a bit lighter she'd look...like... me, back in about 1975!

And if you were on some kind of phycidellic kick way back when (and I don't even want to know with what) then this might bring back memories... far out man ;)

14 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Ah, gotta love finding out the morning OF! I lagh that you have no hippy stuff just laying around. I'm pretty sure half my wardrobe would have worked somehow... a tie around her head... some wide-legged jeans...

Anonymous said...

She looks brilliant Kans...but shouldn't the fingers be the other way round!!!!!!!!!!!
Northernlass1

Northernlass1 said...

Not sure if you got my last comment so here goes again....I think Sydney looks brilliant and well done you....but shouldn't her fingers be the other way round!!!!
Tracey

David T. Macknet said...

I'm just cracking up, because that's not the peace sign over on this end of the world. Quite ... well, unpeaceful, as a matter of fact. :)

Anonymous said...

I think she looks like a real hippy kid. Amazing what psychedelic memories come back to haunt you. (from your own childhood) :) You do very good professional photography.

From an old Hippy.

Oma said...

I am so surprised at the meaning of the hand signals. (I never knew)!! And Sydney who is the most lovable child and would not do anything to offend a soul is shocked. She meant this in the most peaceful loving way and I hope most people will take it as such. Just a simple Peace Gesture!

Anonymous said...

Kansas...Great getup..Sydney looks fantastic...I agree with your Mom, Sydney wouldn't intentionally offend anyone...She is a great kid...Pat

Oma said...

Monty was just a puppy at the time and it was a piece of plastic to her. Really!! LOL How do you remember all these stories.


Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

We lived in side by side duplexes and I remember Monty. We never swept the floor after dinner We just called Monty ab

Anonymous said...

I don"t see any old stoggies so that is good.Skip that part.. AB

Anonymous said...

Hi Kans
I didn't think for one minute that Sydney was being offensive on purpose...in UK kids often get the fingers the wrong way round when they're giving a peace sign so I just wondered if she'd done the same. But it's really interesting that there is a difference between our two countries! By the way the middle finger works the same over here too!! No offence was taken and I still think that Sydney looks fab!!
Northernlass1 (Tracey)

KansasA said...

Hi Tracey :) No offense taken on this side either!!! I know you meant no harm and I'm glad you pointed out the differences between our countries :) I'm really glad I found out before travelling over there LOL! Just think, when you move here in 2010 you can hold up your fingers either way and it won't matter at all ;) Just don't hold up "one" finger k? lol
PS Maybe some day we can meet somewhere in the middle between Ontario and BC when you get here :)

Dora Renee Wilkerson said...

She looks great!!!

;)

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Jackie said...

Too funny! And that shirt really works well for hippie day. I hope that she had a good time.