Thursday, July 25, 2013

Goat’s Milk Ice Cream

I’ve been getting enough milk from our goat Cupcake to make ice cream today!  I got the recipe from “Goats Produce Too! The udder Real Thing Volume II” by Mary Jane Toth.  The book sure has some great “tested by her” recipes.  She lists everything from desserts to cheese to sausage and my next experiment might be French Style Chevre, a type of soft cheese similar to Philadelphia Cream cheese.  I need five quarts of whole goat’s milk to make the Chevre so I’ve been thinking about buying a second milk goat, lol.

Goats Milk Ice Cream

Strawberry Ice Cream

2 c goat milk

2 c goat cream (I subbed raw cow’s cream because I didn’t have enough goat cream)

1 c sugar (I subbed Xylitol I ground in the blender to make it finer)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 c strawberries (fresh or frozen)  I used fresh that I put in the blender for a minute

**I didn’t follow the directions because my ice cream maker is a bit different.  I’ll post what I did then follow with the directions from the book.

Place crushed strawberries in an 8 cup measuring cup, add milk and cream.  Add fine ground Xylitol.  Add tsp. of vanilla extract.  Give the whole thing a stir and pour into ice cream maker (I have a Cuisinart) for 20 minutes or until done.

Book directions:

Place crushed strawberries in the ice cream canister.  Stir in remaining ingredients, stirring to mix well.  Freeze as directed.

1 comment:

tanita✿davis said...

WOW, wow, wow!
I've just gotten a bag of erythritol to experiment with - supposedly like xylitol, naturally derived - will see if it is workable. In ice cream, with fruit, I find that most things are okay.

Go, you. Can't wait to see that chevre!