Saturday, November 4, 2006

Hamburger Sausage

Here's a great recipe for crackers to use at Christmas. I've made this several ways, instead of just hamburger I've used a combination of ground deer and ground beef or ground moose and beef. You could probably use any combination of meat but I suggest adding a non-lean ground meat such as beef or pork because you don't want it to be too dry. I have cooked this on the second day and it's pretty much the same as the fourth day but you should let it sit for a minimum of 24 hours with at least one good mix during that time.


Moose & beef sausage

Hamburger Sausage

5 lbs of cheap hamburger or a combination of ground meats
4-5 round teaspoons curing salt
5 tablespoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons course ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder OR 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon Hickory Smoked Salt OR liquid smoke

1st day: Mix all ingredients into a large bowl and refrigerate.
2nd day: Mix (Can be cooked on this day)
3rd day: Mix
4th day: Form into logs and bake in oven at 140-150 F for 8 hours, 4 hours per side.

Slice up and put on any kind of crackers...you might want to try my homemade brandy recipe to go with it...mmm, mmm, good :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the recipe. My late Mother gave it to me years ago, but it's disappeared from my recipe box. Now I can again make sausage logs to include with Christmas munchie baskets for neighbors
Randle, WA, USA

Anonymous said...

Well, looky here, and I was just telling you how I am planning to make moose sausage. I don't eat pork, so I will mix with beef burger, but I think this will work okay for sausage rolls even if I have to adapt it a little. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I've had this recipe for over 40 years. My mom and grandmother use to make it all the time. The only difference is the recipe I have instructs you to turn the sausage rolls 1 quarter turn every 2 hours. Its GREAT eating.

Note: I use Morton's Tender Quick and Hickory Smoked Salt.