Thursday, January 18, 2007

Poor Man's Souffle



Oh, this is so good, and so simple to make. I remember my Mom making this years ago when I was a kid (well I guess it wasn't that long ago). Anyway the reason it has the name "Poor Man's Souffle" is because it was made with Velveeta Cheese and it used to be cheap, but not anymore, so now I use cheddar, or cheese slices, or even part Cheez Whiz. So if I only have a few slices of cheese I mix and match with the Cheez Whiz or grated cheddar. I don't think I'd use all Cheez Whiz but it works in a pinch. Also a few of the cheese slices I used tonight were the fat free kind, my brother stopped me before I had them all on and grabbed the other kind before I could finish. The nice thing is most everything one would have on hand in their kitchen so no special trip to the grocery store for this one. My Dad used to eat the leftovers for breakfast, that is, if there were any :)

Poor Man's Souffle
50 or so Saltine Crackers
Cheese (read first paragraph, about 4 cups)
4-5 eggs
Approx. 4 cups milk

Spray Pam into a 9x13 dish.
Layer crackers and cheese, ending with a layer of cheese.
Crack eggs into a 4-cup measuring cup, beat eggs, fill to top with milk.
I use skim but any milk will do.
Carefully pour over crackers and cheese.
Let sit for about 1/2 hour.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
Serve with a salad.

Looming News
A few days ago I bought Denise's Celtic Braid Scarf.   It's a bit tricky to figure out but wow does it knit up quick!  And once you figure it out it's not bad.  I braid it a bit different than Denise does just so it looks more relaxed.  I whipped one up for my Mother-in-law's birthday and she loved it.  It looks so neat with the twists.  The first one I did with Lion Brand Thick & Quick but I did another one in plain Red Heart worsted weight and there wasn't really much of a difference, but big difference in price.  Unfortunately the pictures I took did not turn out too great and I've already given both scarves away.  I'll do another one up in a day or two and post pictures of it.
I also purchased Lisa's Waves of Lace Shawl pattern, not because I want a shawl, what I'd like is to make a bag with the stitch.  Something like a beach bag.  I think I might try it with nylon cord or something similar.  Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kansas what a great recipe....I need it, but your paragraph is cutting off text. Please fix and I'll come back and get the recipe. Let us know on Knifty Knitters Group.

Thanks,
Peggy in Utah

KansasA said...

I'm pretty sure it's fixed, sorry about that, my table's were too wide so I've shortened them up.

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I tried it tonight and it went over really well with DH! I came to your blog (from the Knifty Knitter group)to look at your patterns and was pleasantly surprised by the recipe too! Thanks for sharing!