Sunday, June 17, 2007

Pipping

Pipping: To break through (the shell) in hatching (I just knew someone would ask).
Yesterday before leaving for a funeral I checked "Baby Banty." She's been sitting on eggs for about three weeks and had one hatch last Tuesday. Being a first time Mama, and not wanting to leave her other eggs she wasn't taking out her new little chick. I did see her outside the next day but no chick, so after checking the coop I found Baby Banty's Mama, "Mama Banty" sitting on, not only the new chick, but the eggs as well. I scooted her off the nest and set up a nursery for Baby Banty. After moving her there, putting in a chick waterer and feed, the poor little gaf wasn't flourishing the way most chicks do. I'm sure the chick was a bit premature too because it was the tiniest chick I've ever seen. I brought it in the house, bathed it, worked it's butt area, and blow dried it. I then put it in a box, named it "Bugs" and gave it food, water, and a heat light. After a day and a half Bugs was still small but certainly had improved health wise.

So getting back to yesterday... When I lifted up Baby Banty I saw and heard this:




It's sort of ironic to see new life emerging when I'm heading to a funeral to say goodbye to someone. A funeral makes one realize just how precious life really is and also just how short we are here. I will miss seeing Marla's smiling face, her contagious laughter, and tales of her grandchildren. My heart goes out to her husband, Bernie, a kind soul who has known me since I was born, and known my parents since before they were married to each other back in 1962. I'm sure Marla and Bernie were married for 40+ years and this will hit him hard. I spoke with him very briefly at the funeral yesterday and then took a Kleenex and wiped the tears from his face, he told me he loved me, kissed my hand, and for a fleeting moment all I could see was my own future. I do hope when I leave this world I can quote a line in a song by Randy Travis "I guess it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you. It's what you leave behind you when you go."


I made it back home about fours later and new life was waiting for me :) Still wet and a little disorientated but full of trust.



After checking "Bugs" inside the house and seeing just how much of an improvement he's made I decided to slip him under his Mama late last night, at least now he has company :) And I'm using the term "he" just for no reason because I do hope Bugs is a hen and not a rooster!
Today I am cleaning out the chicken coop and I'll try to post a picture of Bugs soon.

Update: Meet "Bugs." So what do you think... hen or rooster?


"Bugs" at 5 days old!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow aye amazing. This little chick made it.

Jackie said...

How do you tell at that age? I know how to do it with kittens, but birds?

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to Bernie. Marla is going to be missed by so many friends and family. I will miss not seeing her when I am in town.
Tell Bernie I still love him and tell him to take care of himself. It must be tough to lose someone so close.

Mary said...

That is so cute

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and Bernie's sorrow. I don't want to think about living on without Mark...

These are great pictures - such cute baby chicks!! I hope someday I'll have a few chickens of my own to post pictures of! =)

Bugs is adorable!

Dora Renee Wilkerson said...

I love the babies!

Great pictures.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Anonymous said...

There all caught up, to hear.