Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Mossy Shack



This building is what we refer to as "The Mossy Shack." It's pretty obvious it has moss growing all over the roof, hence the name. Inside, well... let's just say when you open the door you don't have a whole lot of room to walk. It's jammed with all kinds of stuff. I'm sure the building has been around since the original owners first staked claim but don't you think it's weathered well, other than the roof? Some day I may venture in there because I'm just a curious kind of gal ;)

One reason I'm posting this certain picture is because I'd like to know if everyone can see the whole frame? I'm pushing the size of my pictures and although I can see the whole thing I'm not sure if my readers can. I'd have my Mom test it but right now she's up in Sicamous with her sister and no computer. Lord I don't think I could handle that!

My brother Frank is visiting, he drove Mom up to Sicamous and then headed over here. If you're not sure how to pronounce Sicamous it's "sick a moose," I know, one of those weird Canadian names we have up here :)

An update on the school incident. I spoke with Jevan's teacher on Friday and she told me that the meeting with the child and mom went well. The outcome is that the child be separated from Jevan. She has been moved from his table, they are not allowed to interact in the classroom, no contact on the playground, etc. I wasn't prepared when I spoke on the phone but now that I've had time to think about it I disagree with all of this. I don't think this is a way to solve the problem. If anything they should have been made to do stuff together, work together, and play together, under supervision of course.

How is this little girl ever going to work things out if she isn't allowed to interact and is simply separated? I told Hubby that unless one of us move these two will graduate together and be in every class together 'til then. The other thing is it seems as if Jevan is being punished as well and he did nothing wrong, he wasn't even there. He will have a rough time with this because he won't understand why he can't play with someone. He would never hold a grudge against anyone, I don't think he even knows what that means :) When I asked him about the girl after school on Friday all he said was "Name is being nice to me." (Not sure where as they aren't supposed to be together, I'm assuming the bus?) I know it will be difficult for Jevan to stay away from her, mainly because he doesn't understand that there is anything wrong. How do I tell a 5 year old that this girl accused him of attacking her and giving her a black eye, but that she lied and made the whole thing up and then was caught in the lie? You don't, simply put you don't. Darn like gets difficult doesn't it? :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kansas,
I can see the whole frame of the picture. I also agree with you about Jevan. This solution is not teaching that little girl anything, and poor Jevan hasn't got a clue on what is going on. I bet you that they will still play together on the school grounds....Pat

Little Ol' Liz said...

Beautiful photo work, Kansas. Looks like what they sell in the park for an arm and a leg to the tourists!

You know that whole girl at school thing? We had the opposite - boy accuses our daughter. At one point in the school year I got fed up and made it a point to introduce myself the the child's mother. I told her that we may as well accept we were destined to be in-laws one day, and had better get to know each other better while we had the change.
Funny thing -- they moved!

Anonymous said...

The grandmother of this girl needs to watch "The Childrens Hour". YOu should have a meeting with the teacher, explain your view of their "solution" and reinforce the idea that your son was not near the girl. There is probably someone this girl is more afraid of and needs to be protected from on the bus. Maybe ask Sidney and Jevan to keep their eyes peeled for bullies on the bus, don't even mention the little girl. Also the bus driver should be brought in on this. Not really his/her fault but he need to be aware.

Moonshadow said...

Seeing the whole frame there. I guess I'm just too curious, I would've been snooping through the building a long time ago. :)

I'm with you on the issue with the children. Sounds to me like the school is copping out, protecting their hineys. Doesn't sound like they got to the bottom of anything, that would take effort.

tanita✿davis said...

Hi, K, I can see the whole frame, and I doubly agree with you about Jevan. What a dorky solution! And it does punish J., too, but not only that, it seems to imply that the teacher does not believe he did nothing wrong. And that is simply unacceptable.

Maybe you and the girl's mom should talk, and leave the teacher/school out of it.

David T. Macknet said...

Umm... no.

Do you have anything there resembling Child Protective Social Services (CPSS)? If so (and I can't but think that you do), then your teachers should probably be what Californian teachers are, which is that they are mandated reporters. That means that if they suspect abuse, they must report it to the social workers (CPSS).

You have a girl who is being given black eyes, and who will not name the person who gave them to her. She is being abused, and should be treated as such. This isn't about Jevan - this is about a girl who's too scared to say who beat her up, and who knows that Jevan won't take it out on her if he gets in trouble. In an odd sort of way, she's using him because she knows he's nice.

Report it to Social Services, get a social worker in there, and find out who's abusing that girl - and how much she's being abused.

See the picture just fine, by the way. Any retouching on that? It's a wonderful one.

Jackie said...

VERY interesting Picture! I TOTALLY want to investigate the shed. I think that the only things that could put me off would be a family of skunks and something that is covered in maggots. (shudder: never could stand the creepy little things)
And yes, I think that you are right and the teachers are wrong. They are trying to take the easy way out. And looking at the way things are run in kindergarten classrooms, they will probably not be successful at keeping them apart for more than 5 minutes.

KansasA said...

Hi DaviMack, the girl didn't have any black eye, it was determined that it was lack of sleep and they were just dark circles under her eyes. The grandmother jumped the gun and panicked. When the girl showed up for school the next morning there was no indication she had any marks on her face at all. From what I understand there is a bit of history and it's an ongoing problem with the grandma.

Anonymous said...

I see the whole frame, but I have a wide screen. There are still 3 inches of words beyond the screen.

I agree about the girl. That isn't a suitable consequence and it assumes her words may be true. Also, despite his age, I think you should tell him, and with it, teach him how some people have poor character in some areas, how lying affects not just the person doing it but countless others, how what a person does, affects others, how despite her behaviour, he can have good character and all such associated lessons on real life people and how we can be compassionate, but not naive about their behaviour. My kids had many talks like that when that age and even younger and it is amazing what they can understand and the strength in character that develops.

Anonymous said...

I love the tree behind the mystery house ab

Oma said...

I love the picture of "The Mossy Shack".
Jevan would NEVER attack! Not EVER! we know that. BUT!
It is sad to see child neglect anywhere and you can't help but feel sorry for the little girl. Lies are probably just the start for her. I hope she gets some much needed guidance.

Love Ya!