Thursday, July 9, 2009

Annie

It is with an extremely sad heart that I post today.  This morning, at just after seven, my faithful dog of 13 years passed away.  Annie was my pal, my friend, and my girl.  She was born in May 1996 while I was visiting my Mom in Nanaimo, and a very pregnant Meegie gave birth to three tiny chihuahuas.

Annie



The first two chihuahuas were quickly claimed by my Mom (Taco Bell) and Aunty Frances (Kita) but after a few months no one wanted Annie.  That's how she got her name; Little Orphan Annie, and at that time we decided to keep her.  We had her Mom (Meegie) and her Dad (Spike, who has since passed on), what was one more?

Annie




Shortly after, my hubby's brother and ex-girlfriend lost their chihuahua and asked if they could have Annie.  I agreed and she was renamed Rya.  About a year later, with a bunch of circumstances, I received a call from someone in Lillooet asking me if I wanted a chihuahua?  When asked what the dog's name was, I knew immediately who it was.  I drove to Lillooet, we lived about two hours away then, and picked up my "Annie" that day.  They say a dog has a memory span of about five years, and because Annie had only been gone a short time, she remembered her "old" name and all of us.  She fit right in and I knew there was no way I would give her up again.

Annie



I have no idea what happened to her yesterday, most of my day was spent in Lytton.  I got home at just after six last night and when I was heading back out to the truck Annie was walking beside the woodstove.  Annie has a habit of flopping down and rolling onto her back so I can pet her belly.  When she rolled over I noticed some strange marks on her tummy, like she had been caught in something and had desperately struggled to get free.  I scooped her up and took her down to the shop where Pops was.  I asked if he had heard anything strange while I was gone and showed him Annie's belly.  He said no and that he had spent most of his day at the shop.  I then brought Annie up to the house where she quickly disappeared into my room.  I thought if she rested she would be okay.  A little while later I went to check her and found her under my bed, obviously in pain, because she was low howling with very quick breathes.


She managed to drink some water while I held her up and I made her as comfortable as I could beside my bed.  At 4:30 this morning I knew there was nothing more I could do and that she wouldn't be with me much longer...  I called Grandma at just after six and asked if Pops had something that we could give her to put her at rest.  He came over and, at approximately 7 this morning, I held her in my arms while he injected her.  Her breathing slowed and she stretched her head up, with wide eyes she looked at me and took her last breath.  It is a little comfort knowing that she is no longer in pain and I couldn't let her suffer any longer.  I'll miss you girl.... and someday I'll see you on the other side.

Annie

Thank you Sydney for looking through many, many pictures to find Annie's photos... I just couldn't do it and I want you to know that you helped Mama very much this morning.

7 comments:

Moonshadow said...

I type this through tear blurred eyes. I know what it's like to lose such a companion. I still miss mine, she was like my shadow. I feel your heartbreak and offer my sympathy.

Anonymous said...

Kansas!!! Soooo Sorry to hear about Annie...ab

Oma said...

I really am absolutely heartbroken for you Kansas. I know Annie was with you everywhere you went. She will so be missed. I love you so much and Annie too. This is so hard to type as I just can't see through the tears. So sorry to know she is gone but she will always be in your heart.

Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

so sorry for you all. Our pusca is the same age and I will hate it when it is his time to go.

Jackie said...

Oh Kansas, I am so sorry about your dear Annie. You will see her again someday.

Anonymous said...

You never know when you’re making a memory.


Thank Heaven for your memories. We lost our Jasper of 18 years last week. So, so sorry for your loss.

Moonshadow said...

Kansas, just read of another blogger that lost her good friend. I thought you might like to read her post about the "Rainbow Bridge"...
http://goatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/2009/07/goodbye-my-old-friend.html